Is your life disturbed? Are you going through difficult period coping up with your sleepless nights and you don’t understand what is happening to you, are you awake whole night, just staring at things, unable to close your eyes, no signs of falling asleep? Then probably you must be suffering from sleep disorder or insomnia.
Insomnia is a complicated disorder affecting people in which they experience sleeplessness, restlessness and struggle to catch sleep.
Insomnia is of two types-
- Acute Insomnia
- Chronic Insomnia
Acute Insomnia- Acute insomnia is something that lasts for short period, may be few days or week. In this condition the person does not have serious sleep disorder.
Chronic Insomnia- Chronic insomnia is more complex condition than acute insomnia. This condition makes the person very weak mentally and physically and affects overall health. It last for longer periods, making the person incapable of handling things.
Check for the following symptoms of insomnia-
- no focus, no concentration
- sleep loss
- getting into substance abuse
- waking up often
- waking up early morning
- trouble going back to sleep
- extremely worried about your sleep
If you are experiencing the above signs of insomnia then see a doctor to identify and treat your problem.
Causes of insomnia
- Mental disorders- If a person is suffering from mental problems such as depression or anxiety is at risk for insomnia.
- Irregular sleep habits- Some people have the habit of doing various activities on bed like watching TV, doing some work, chatting on phone , working on computer, all these distractions make the person sleep for less time, and gradually leading to poor sleeping habits, causing insomnia.
- Stress- Life is so stressful in this present time ,making it difficult to catch a good sleep, not sleeping becomes a way of life, leading to insomnia.
- Poor eating habits- eating heavy meals can causeg indigestion and other digestive problems, which makes the person restless and disturbs the sleep. poor eating habits are interlinked to insomnia.
- Age- Aging also causes insomnia. With increasing age the person becomes physically and mentally less active and also due to illnesses occurring along with age causes sleepless nights.
Fight insomnia the natural way
- Drink warm milk before going to bed
- Change the way you think, be more focussed, and do not stress yourself by pondering over past thoughts or actions.
- Do not take anything along with you like your phone, computer, games, etc… When you go to bed for sleep.
- Eat foods containing amino acids like chicken, banana etc. That helps you sleep better. Avoid sugary or spicy foods that can upset your stomach making you restless.
- Essential oils like jasmine oil, lavender oil, help you sleep soundly, just apply a drop of any of these oils on your forehead before you go to bed.
- Maintain a sleep schedule. Sleep at the same time and wakeup at the same time, once the body gets used to the same sleep time you’ll sleep properly.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks before sleeping at night.
Insomnia can be taken care off, with efforts from your side and making changes in your lifestyle.