Abortion is a procedure that involves deliberate termination or removing an embryo or fetus before it can survive outside the uterus. It can be done using abortion pills.
Facts about Abortion Pill
- The Abortion Pill is known as an early abortion method, because it only works and should be taken only in the initial stages that is under 9 weeks of pregnancy, this is when the pregnancy is still in developing stages called decidua.
- The abortion pill is termed as medical abortion or medication abortion, it is not just one pill but a combination of two pills used to terminate pregnancy.
- The safe period to take Abortion Pill is between 5-9 weeks of pregnancy, counting from the first day of your last menstrual period.
- Abortion pill should be taken with prescription by your doctor. The two pills used for aborting the fetus are – mifepristone and misoprostol.
- Mifepristone, which is taken on the first day, works by inhibiting progesterone — a hormone necessary to hold on to pregnancy and let it grow, once this pill is taken it causes embryo’s removal from the uterine wall. Misoprostol is taken same day or within 72 hours after taking the first pill, and this pill works by causing cramping, followed by bleeding that indicates elimination of pregnancy from your uterus.
- After taking the one first pill Mifepristone the most women do not usually experience any pain or cramping. But when they take second pill Misoprostol most women experience severe pain like it happens during period and the pain is there for several hours with heavy bleeding more than what you have during your periods. This bleeding will last usually a week or more.
- That is why your doctor will prescribe you the appropriate pain medications and will give you few instructions so that you can be fully prepared.
- Some women take abortion pill without informing any one, it’s alright as long as you are aware of the consequence.
- Abortion Pill is very effective to terminate pregnancy, if you fail to bleed after you’ve taken the pills the first time, you can try again 24 hours later.
- Most women who want to terminate pregnancy are happy using abortion pill as it is easy and safe to use and can be done at home.
- One of the advantages of using abortion pills is that you can take it according to your convenience and you can set your own time and day to take the pills. You can also carry on your work, as usual but it is better to stay home until your pregnancy is terminated.
Risks of taking Abortion pills
Some of the risks involved with taking abortion pills are:
- Allergic to abortion medicines
- Extremely heavy bleeding
- Large blood clots
- Incomplete abortion
- Chances of infection
- if pregnancy is not terminated
- bleeding for too long period
- feeling extremely weak
- cramps and pain in your stomach that does not subside with pain killer
After taking abortion pills you should feel alright after your miscarriage, but if you continue to feel tired, weak, have fever, vomiting and nausea for more than 24hrs, call your doctor immediately and fix your problems before it leads to life threatening situation. For some women abortion pills may not work and may lead to serious complications, so it is better to check with your doctor before taking these pills.
Conclusion – When you terminate your pregnancy there is loss of blood due to heavy bleeding, take care to eat healthy diet to compensate the loss of blood.