Homeopathy is a form of medicine that uses natural substances that may cause a disease to help treating the disease. It is an alternative form of medicinal practice that follows the principle of like cures like. Homeopathic medicines are made of substances like dried herbs or fresh herbs, caffeine, garlic, vinegar, poison ivy and mountain herbs. These are made into ointments, tablets and drops.
The medicine works on patients suffering from seasonal ailments, indigestion, fatigue, insomnia and so on. Now you must be wondering how the body will heal from a substance that is causing the disease. The concept behind this is that homeopathy promotes self-healing. It stimulates the body’s immune system and helps the body heal itself. The difference here is that a patients over all profile like his personality and emotions are also important to the doctor. He talks to the patient deeply regarding stress, anxiety levels, family, personal life and every day habits in detail. The doctor tries to give as small doses of medicine as possible and tries to heal the patient holistically. The medicinal system of homeopathy goes back to the 1700s.
The doctors first talk to the patient, evaluate him and then prescriber him with remedies. As it is a holistic approach to healing, a patient’s entire background and lifestyle is considered while prescribing him medicines. Homeopathy pays more attention to one’s emotional and mental symptoms rather than physical symptoms.
Homeopathic medicines are usually called tinctures because they are solutions made out of active ingredients from substances by grinding and distillation and made in a carrier like alcohol or water. A remedy has two parts- potency and strength. It is not a given that a strong medicine will be more potent as different patients react differently to medicines. Excess consumption may lead to poisoning as substances like arsenic, snake venom or mercury may be present in the medicine. That is why very small quantity is used in diluted form and small dosage is recommended.
The following patients benefit from homeopathy the most:
- Skin related problems
- Tiredness and weakness
- Problems of thyroid
- Autoimmune disorders
- Anxiety and depression
- Indigestion and stomach problems
- Headaches like migraine and sinus
- Allergic reactions
People say that as these medicines are diluted with water, they are of no use and are ineffective. However, they have been used for a long time and many people believe in this healing, and have shown positive effect from homeopathy medicines.
Benefits of Homeopathy
- Homeopathy consists of the holistic approach of healing hence it considers all aspects of a patient- His stress, personal life, professional life problems, everything.
- Very small doses of naturally derived active ingredients are used to make Homeopathic medicines.
- Homeopathy has been one of the most effective treatments in asthma, cold and allergies.
- Homeopathy is a safe method of healing as it is derived from natural substances, minerals, animals or plants. As opposed to allopath, homeopathy will not have any toxic or side-effects and is safe enough to use in long term. On the other hand, antibiotics may cause digestion problems or immunity related risks if used for a long period of time.
- Homeopathy can be trusted in both acute as well as chronic conditions. It acts fast and is known to be highly effective by people who trust it.
- Homeopathy is based on the law of similar which states like cures like. It promotes the natural way of healing. It is one of the most holistic approaches worldwide. Thus homeopathy is both scientific and natural.
- Homeopathy does not just make a disease go away for the time being, in fact it acts towards the root of the disease. It attacks the disease at its roots and helps the body to build resistance against the disease.
- Homeopathic medicines are completely safe and non-toxic for everyone including infants, pregnant mothers and lactating women. It can be used by anyone at any stage of life without the fear of side effects.
- Homeopathy is highly effective in treating all kinds of pain and that too without damaging your liver or kidney like the Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Migraines are best treated by homeopathy.
- Digestive problems like irritable bowel syndrome have highly effective cures in homeopathy.
While homeopathy also uses natural substance but it is different from naturopathy in the sense that the latter makes use of many other techniques like acupuncture, massage, Ayurveda, nutrition and also homeopathy. Many at times, all these overlap but homeopathy holds an important place out of all. Be aware of the potential risks and side effects of homeopathy and then use its holistic approach to treat yourself. All you need to do is find a good homeopathic doctor who you can trust. If his medicines start working for you, you are in good hands. Hope this article was helpful to our readers, do come back for more.