While we are very well aware that smoking puts you at risk for developing cancer and heart problems, researchers say that there is strong evidence that people who smoke heavily double their chances of developing Dementia later in their life. But giving up smoking can reduce the risk to a great extent.
What exactly is dementia?
Dementia is one of the most common brain diseases that affect many people around the world. It associated with gradual decline in the mental ability of a person – to think, reason, judge, communicate effectively and changes in the mood or behavior all these symptoms reduces a person’s ability to carry out everyday activities. Dementia affects the person when the brain is damaged by diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease or a series of strokes. Alzheimer’s disease is one of the most common causes of dementia and also, you can treat Dementia by having Admenta 10mg, but there are also other factors that can lead to dementia and one of them is smoking.
How smoking increases the risk of dementia?
Research says there are several strong reasons that insist that there is indeed a link between smoking and dementia. That includes:-
- It is known that smoking causes cancers of the lung, esophagus, larynx, mouth, throat, and heart diseases. it is because tobacco cigarette contains 4000 chemicals like nicotine, tar, carbon monoxide, DDT etc. all these are highly addictive and cancer causing chemicals. It is not clear which chemical in cigarette causes dementia, but studies say nicotine in cigarette may decrease the chance of dementia.
- It is smoke from the cigarette when enters the body causes oxidative stress and inflammation which increases the chances for developing Alzheimer disease a common causes of dementia.
- Another reason that supports the claim that smoking causes dementia is that there is a possibility of smoke causing dementia through neuro degenerative and vascular pathways.
World Health Organization has strongly warned against smoking and also non smoking people who are exposed to smoke from the cigarette are also at risk for developing dementia. WHO says that quitting or decreasing smoking is likely to reduce the risk of dementia in the coming years.
You can save yourself from developing dementia by following ways:-
- Bringing about changes in your lifestyle that are healthy.
- Take up regular physical exercise such as a cardio exercise, strength training, swimming and walking.
- Take up weight and resistance training exercises that helps increase muscle mass as well boosts brain health.
- Most importantly stop smoking and limit your alcohol consumption.
Take home message – Now its clear smoking puts you at risk for many dangerous diseases, tobacco smoking is the biggest causes that can increase your chances of developing dementia. Research says that quitting smoking later in life also works to reduce risk of dementia. So if you are heavy smoker give up to save your life. If you follow a healthy lifestyle and make a strong effort to quit smoking you can prevent dementia and other diseases that are caused by smoking. If you are finding difficult to give up smoking, take help from therapist who can guide you and give some valuable tips to stop smoking.