Snoring refers to the hoarse or harsh sound produced while sleeping at night. It occurs when there is restriction of air flow, which causes tissues to vibrate as you breathe while sleeping. Mostly it happens to everyone now and then, but for some people it can be a chronic problem. There are few reasons for air getting blocked while breathing in sleep. It could be due to poor muscle tone in the throat and tongue, or it due to presence of large tonsils (tonsils area pair of soft tissue masses located at the rear of the throat, which help to fight infections) and adenoids (are the mass of soft tissue behind the nasal cavity, adenoids are part of the immune system). An abnormally long or thick soft palate ((the hanging tissue in the back of the mouth) can also cause snoring.
Symptoms of snoring:- watch for the following symptoms of snoring.
- frequent breathing pauses during sleep
- chest pain at night
- mood changes
- daytime sleepiness
- difficulty concentrating
- poor memory
- difficulty learning
- morning headaches
- sore throat
- choking at night
- increased blood pressure
- frequent need to urinate during the night
Snoring may disrupt your sleep and also affects your quality of life. Snoring makes you wake up frequently at night time because breathing pauses may be repeated many times during the night, thus interrupting your sleep. Not only is this it also disturbing for others who are around you. It is better to control snoring by changing few habits – lifestyle, doing throat exercises, following sleep routine etc.
Let us explore some of the ways to prevent snoring
- Lose weight- Weight gain around the neck compresses the internal diameter of the throat, making it to fall during sleep, giving rise to snoring, so reducing weight can reduce. Snoring and you’ll be able to sleep well.
- Stop smoking- Smoking tobacco cigarettes is dangerous for health as it contains harmful chemicals which are not good for your lungs. Smoking also causes swelling of the lining of the nose and throat this leads to reduced airflow, which in turn triggers snoring. So it is better to stop smoking that helps prevent snoring.
- Reduce alcohol intake- Alcohol makes the back of the throat muscles to collapse as we breathe, which leads to snoring. Moreover alcohol damages the whole body.
- Follow sleep routine – Maintaining sleep -wake cycles plays a vital role in promoting good sleep. Lack of sleep or not following sleep routine is very harmful for your health and may cause illnesses and infections, as poor sleep lowers your immunity levels. When you work for extended periods of time your body get tired and you hit the bed overtired that makes the muscles to hang loosely which creates snoring.
- Keep your nostrils clean –If you keep your nose clean, you can breathe freely, and the nose is not blocked, especially if you have cold it usually blocks your nose preventing the smooth passage of air and it is more likely to cause snoring. So use nasal spray to keep nose passage clear and snoring can be prevented.
- Breathing exercises – Breathing exercises are very beneficial to stop snoring especially throat and nasal exercises are strongly recommended to prevent snoring.
- Drink plenty of fluids – Take care to drink enough water and juices as it keeps your nasal passages clear. If you are dehydrated the fluids in your nose and soft palate become stickier this can cause snoring. So drink liquids to prevent snoring.
Conclusion – Snoring is very common among most people it can happen to anyone and treat it by having Provigil Tablet; aged people are more likely to experience snoring. But simple practices like following healthy sleep routine, losing weight and taking medication can control snoring.