Rising air is pollution is a global concern; it has become very difficult to protect ourselves from the menace of harmful pollution. The toxins present in the air are life threatening leads to respiratory problems. To protect ourselves from air pollution we must consider wearing air masks whenever we go out, as they help us breathe pure air .But we should make sure to select the right mask that helps purify the air we breathe in.
Here are few guidelines to select the right air mask:
- N99 air masks – is considered as one of the reliable masks which has the capability to purify up to t 99% of the air with particles that are larger than 0.3 microns. This mask is good for people having breathing problems, respiratory problems and allergy problems. These air masks are disposable and should be changed every 2-3 days.
- N95 air masks– these air masks are capable of filtering the air up to 95 percent of the harmful PM2.5 particulate matter, these particles when breathed can enter your nasal passage into the throat, lungs or even the circulatory system, which can cause serious respiratory complications and other health issues. This mask is affordable and should be replaced every 2-3 days.
- Totobobo air mask – the efficiency of this mask is 99% provides protection from particles as small as PM0.3.This mask is little expensive but reusable.
- Respro mask– these masks effectively purifies the air up to 99%, and they can be used up to 69 hours.
- Particulate Respirators – these respirators are very effective in protecting respiratory organs from the dust particles and other toxic matters released into the air in the process of welding, excavating, etc. carried out in the workplace. These masks are little expensive compared to other masks but very useful for those suffering from respiratory problems.
- N99 Carbon Layer/ Exhaust Layer Mask – this mask very effectively fights 99% of air pollution consisting of particulate pollution that includes – Pm10, Pm2.5 and 3 size of microorganism, virus and other harmful germs. This mask is expensive compared to other masks but it is durable and can be used up to 9 months.
Steps to be taken while wearing a mask
- First read the instructions, before wearing the mask.
- Wash your hands every time, before wearing the N95 mask.
- It is very important to chooses the right fit and size of the mask
- Wear the mask firmly over your nose, mouth and chin, make sure there is no gap left, otherwise wearing air mask is serves no purpose.
Take home message:- Getting exposed to air pollution can be very dangerous, it has become necessary to wear air masks, especially for those with breathing problems but one important thing is no matter how much you spend on a mask, they only work if they fit properly on your face. So make sure to buy a correct size of air mask.
* A surgeon/medical mask is not going to prevent micro particles like PM2.5 – a primary cause of ailments in the human body – from entering the body. Most experts agree that while they may be the cheapest option available, a wet handkerchief/towel is still a better option to cover the face with.